Dr. Whitni Buckles - Powerpoint from Chapel
Periodically we use the chapel time as an assembly designed to address a particular topic relevant to teens today. In the state of Indiana, suicide is the second leading cause of death among 10-34 year olds. To address the topic of suicide prevention, we were grateful to have Whitni Buckles, Ph.D., speak at chapel on November 2, 2017 for both middle school and high school students. Whitni is an HCS parent and works at Family Counseling Associates.
As a parent at Heritage Christian, we are pleased to provide ongoing support for you. We've compiled a list of resources below that we hope will help you during your child's academic and spiritual journey.
- Focus on the Family - Focus on the Family is a global Christian ministry dedicated to helping families thrive. They provide help and resources for couples to build healthy marriages that reflect God's design, and for parents to raise their children according to morals and values grounded in biblical principles.
- FamilyLife Today: Parenting Resources - FamilyLife provides multiple resources that help people build stronger homes and communities. Here, they list numerous resources about parenting with specific topics of interest such as character development, praying for your children, raising boys, raising girls, and much more.
- CYPU Parent Page - The Center for Parent/Youth Understanding is a nonprofit organization committed to building strong families by serving to bridge the cultural-generational gap between parents and teenagers. Here, you can subscribe to a monthly newsletter designed to help keep parents informed about the latest happenings and trends in the world of youth culture.
- Axis - This organization's goal is to empower the next generation to think clearly and critically about what they believe and to take ownership of their faith. They do this not by outsourcing parents, but by resourcing them to disciple and transfer legacy to their children as they face life’s questions and challenges. Those resources can be found on their website.
- Parenting Teens Summit - This is a free online conference designed for parents and grandparents to understand their teens and preteens and better connect with them by providing practical advice from Christian leaders and authors on how to disciple your teens into lifelong faith in Jesus.
- Parenting Today's Teens - The Parenting Today’s Teens radio program and daily newsletters offers biblical insights and practical wisdom for parents wanting a deeper relationship with their teen.
- DivorceCare for Kids (group counseling for children dealing with divorce): Are your children angry, hurt, and confused about your separation or divorce? A DivorceCare for Kids (DC4K) group is a safe, fun place where your children can learn skills that will help them heal. DC4K groups blend, games, music, stories, videos and discussion to help kids process the divorce and move forward. The local Indianapolis group meets at St. Lukes United Methodist Church on W. 86th Street.
- Brooke's Place Grief Support Groups (group counseling for children dealing with grief): For children and adolescents, sharing their experience with peers can provide healing for those grieving the death of a loved one. Brooke’s Place provides peer support groups for young people who have experienced the death of a significant person. These groups meet at St. Luke’s United Methodist Church on W. 86th Street.
Dr. Whitni Buckles - Powerpoint from Chapel
by Foster Cline and Jim Fay
This parenting book shows you how to raise self-confident, motivated children who are ready for the real world. Learn how to parent effectively while teaching your children responsibility and growing their character. Establish healthy control through easy-to-implement steps without anger, threats, nagging, or power struggles.
by Gary Chapman and Ross Campbell
Dr. Gary Chapman and Dr. Ross Campbell help you discover your child’s love language, assist your child in successful learning, use the love languages to correct and discipline more effectively, and build a foundation of unconditional love for your child. Discover your child's primary language - then speak it - and you will be well on your way to a stronger relationship with your flourishing child.
Created for children ages 8-12 (but loved by listeners of all ages), Adventures in Odyssey is a 30-minute drama that combines the faith lessons parents appreciate with characters and stories that kids love.
by Sarah Young
Devotions written as if Jesus is speaking directly to a child's heart. Based on her original Jesus Calling, this version has been adapted in a language and fashion that kids and tweens can relate to their everyday lives.
by Betsy Schmitt
Sticky Situations is a devotional book for families with children ages 8 to 12 that offers short readings for each day of the year. Each reading begins with a kid who is facing a moral dilemma and ends with multiple-choice solutions for the family to discuss. Parents will find tips in the back of the book that interpret the various choices made by the children and offer follow-up questions for further discussion on each topic. Scripture references are provided to give biblical insight into each situation.