COVID Plan Details for Intermediate School
Dear Parents of Intermediate School Students:
The following information provides the Intermediate School details of our previously announced COVID Plan.
Thank you for your support and prayers for the year ahead of us. We look forward to seeing your children and partnering with you in their education. Our ultimate goal is the safety and well-being of our students, faculty and staff as we return to campus.
This webpage will be updated if additions or changes to procedures are needed. If you have questions please feel free to contact me by email.
Barb Standish, Middle School Principal
- The school bell rings at 8:00 a.m.
- Parents will drop off students at the Intermediate School doors marked 3-4. Only the student will be allowed to enter the building since we do not have parking accommodations.
- Students can enter the building at 7:15 a.m. and will sit/stand on designated sit spots in the halls until they can enter the classroom at 7:30 a.m.
- Morning HUB is no longer available.
- Students enter the building wearing a mask and can take off the mask upon entering the classroom.
- Students will be dismissed from the teacher’s classroom. Please refrain from calling or texting your child to let him or her know you are in the car line.
- Students will be picked up at the IS doors marked 3-4.
- Please do not come early to arrive before your designated pick-up time.
- If you do arrive early, wait in the lot by the guard house at the entry to campus to avoid having to loop out the exit.
- Pull all the way up in the car line as directed by the dismissal staff.
- Please remain in your vehicle - this is imperative for safety reasons.
- Parents should have their parent IDs with them for dismissal and after-school pick-up.
- Parents will not enter the building during dismissal to ensure the smooth flow of traffic.
- Bus students will be walked to the bus area each day.
- We will have a staggered dismissal time and is based on the grade level combinations riding in the same car.
- 2:35-2:50 - Early Childhood, Elementary and Fifth Grade
- 2:55-3:05 - Early Childhood, Elementary and Sixth Grade
- 3:05- 3:30 Elementary with MS, and HS
- Eagle Care (Former HUB) will begin at 3:30 in the assigned rooms.
- Students must pre-register for Eagle Care (refer to Eagle Care procedures)
- Students will wash hands before and after recess
- Students will eat in their homerooms with the teacher monitoring the classroom
- All nut-free students will be assigned to the same cohort and eat in an assigned classroom.
- Lunch schedule:
- Lunch needs to be pre-ordered by parents through the parent portal.Boxed lunches will be delivered to the classroom. Students can continue bringing a packed lunch from home
- Guidelines will be in place for the “nut-free” classroom.
- Students cannot share their food.
- Please provide your child with a water bottle or refillable water bottle daily.
- Drinking fountains will only be used as water refill stations.
- Recess schedule:
- 12:05 - Fifth grade
- 12:30 - Sixth grade
- Recess will be on the stadium field which will be divided into zones (one for each of the five cohorts); students will play within their cohort zone
- If physically distancing cannot be maintained while walking to the field, students will need to wear masks until they are able to do so.
- All Specials teachers will instruct in the cohort classrooms.
- Specials for fifth grade will be:
- PE - outside as much as possible, otherwise in the high school gym
- Specials for sixth grade will be:
- PE - outside as much as possible, otherwise in the high school gym
- Student seating will be 6-feet apart to follow the protocol for physical distancing.
- Students will sit in one direction.
- Sit spots will be utilized in the hallways to indicate physically distanced student lines.
- When working in smaller math or reading groups, students will need to wear masks.
- Chapels will be pre-recorded or live-streamed from MS chapel.
- Scheduled chapels will replace the Bible class for that day.
M.A.D.E. to Lead
- Due to the format of MADE to Lead, we will not be able to go to elementary classrooms or intermix the cohorts.
- Consideration will be given on how to implement service opportunities for our IS students.
- There will be designated "well student" and "ill student" areas in the nursing office
- We will be reducing number of student visits by addressing minor complaints of well children outside of the nursing office
- All students will be required to wear a mask in the nursing office.
- Ill students going home must be picked up within the hour
- Suspension of nebulized aerosol treatments in the school setting - only metered dose inhalers (MDI’s) will be used until further notice.
- Parents will no longer be allowed to drop off medication in the nurse’s offices. Contact Health Services to set up medication drop off.
- If students need to be picked up early for an appointment, enter the information into the MyHCS parent portal on Veracross indicating the time of pick-up (please communicate early pick-up 24 hours in advance).
- Early pick-ups should take place prior to 2:00 p.m. to not interfere with the regular dismissal schedule.
- Please call the IS office and inform Monica Furrow that you are there to pick-up your child. She will alert the classroom teacher so your child is ready to be picked up at IS doors.
- Students will sign-out from their classroom
- Parent volunteers are of great value to us, but at this time we cannot permit volunteers into the building.
- We are re-envisioning our Room Mom program, which we hope to continue in a creative way. More information coming.
- Class sizes have been reduced to maintain physical distancing.
- Students will be encouraged to wash hands regularly and use hand sanitizer when entering and exiting the classroom. Hand sanitizer stations are located around the school.
- Masks will be worn when 6-feet physical distancing is not possible
- Hand sanitizing stations installed in all classrooms.
- Faculty and staff must wear a mask or face shield at all times unless working in a room by themselves, eating and drinking, or outdoors where six feet of social distancing is maintained.
Educational Support Services
- ESS programs will continue within a cohort model and proper safety precautions will be taken to ensure a safe environment.
- Students will be required to wear masks in the hallways. When seated in the classroom and physical distance can be maintained, students will be permitted to remove masks in grade 5. Grade 6 students will need to wear masks at all times, other than eating, with a 10 minute mask break every hour.
- All students will need a mask for small group work or walking in the halls.
- Masks should be minimum 2-ply, can be solid in color, striped, patterned, but may not include words.
- General exceptions to wearing a mask are for medical conditions, exercise, and eating and drinking.
- Students are not required to wear a mask at recess or when active during PE.
- Field trips are not possible at this time.
- Robotics Club can continue with physical distancing and safety protocols in place.
- Athletics for sixth grade will continue under the guidelines provided by the Indiana Department of Education and IHSAA. The number of spectators allowed may be restricted to accommodate physical distancing.
- We welcome Mrs. Jordan Waplington as our new Eagle Care Director. Mrs. Waplington is transitioning from teaching third grade to this new position.
- Eagle Care Information and procedures can be found on our website: Eagle Care
- Students will go to Eagle Care at 3:30 p.m.
We are excited to return back to school! Our safety protocols have been thoughtfully prepared to ensure a safe and secure return. Thank you for your continued support. We will continue to update the document to keep you informed.